Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Grocery Store

My daughter doesn't speak at school. She won't speak to anyone but her mom, dad, two cousins, grandma, and two friends from school. When we go to the store she's a whole different person. She talks, screams, and has temper tantrums just like any eight year old would. She has no issues with the bathrooms either. This is such a vast difference from her behavior at school. At school her father and I have to go in and help the teacher do testing. She has a comfortable pattern for using the toilet now. However she started the year holding it all day. Then went from that to going with a friend. Now she can go alone just down the hall form her class. My daughter will talk to me right in front of people now. A short while ago she would tug on me so she could whisper in my ear. She is making positive strides towards speaking freely. Her biggest hurdle is talking in school. If school were the grocery store where no one judged you and your peers didn't treat you differently she would speak. The biggest problem she has is when people baby her.

2 comments:

Olivia said...

Isnt it the worst when you kids act up in the store? I know how that goes. When my kids were all little I used to think it was great if I was in Walmart and we heard someone elses kids instead of mine!

Anonymous said...

Great work.